The key to successful tourism destination development is relatively straightforward: highly engaged communities that take an active role in shaping their collective future.
The best destinations have engagement across a broad spectrum of tourism stakeholders; business, public, financial, political and a host of others, not just tourism and marketing entities.
The modern destination brand is the sum total of all shared stories and experiences about that destination.
RTO4, one of thirteen regional tourism offices established by the Ministry of Tourism Culture and Sport in the province of Ontario, has been called the “petri dish of tourism development in North America” by the Canadian Tourism Commission, specifically because of its innovative, analytical and non-traditional approach to growing tourism and economic development.
To provide leadership and support to a flourishing tourism economy in Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington.
Lead an industry supported partnership and collaboration across the region to develop, enhance and strengthen a results oriented tourism economy.
HOW WE DO IT
Over the past three years, RTO4 has followed a purpose built model based on a process of ‘goal-strategy-measurement’ to create, implement and assess the tools and tactics that are the most appropriate for growing the tourism economy in this region. The team operates on five guiding principles:
- Hygiene First – a critical focus on working with stakeholders to identify and fix those things that impede tourism growth
- Destination Network – a holistic view of destinations that engages multiple stakeholders in shaping a community’s collective tourism future
- Shared Story Brand – redefining brand in the modern media world as the sum total of shared stories and experiences about a given destination
- A relentless focus on the visitor experience
- Enabling Engagement – working with stakeholders to strengthen their ability to engage consumers
LATEST RTO4 NEWS
2016/17 is shaping up to be a busy year for tourism development in the region.
With major projects underway in Elora & Fergus, Guelph, Kitchener, Waterloo Cambridge Stratford, Bayfield and on the Grand…